Friday, May 7, 2010

Learning About News Stories About Internet Scams at the Lead America Conference

Learned So Much at the Lead America Media Conference

I love the action of breaking news. I’m such an adrenaline junkie. In my sophomore year I was a journalist for our school newspaper, and I’ve been a student reporter for our high school TV station the past two years. After Oprah recently did a segment on texting and driving, we started researching and putting together our own local story. I really feel like the Lead America media program helped me learn to present the story objectively from different viewpoints. Talk about scary – I know I’ll never text and drive again! It sucks that people don’t realize the danger, and I really hope the story will help save lives. It hasn’t aired yet, but I sent the rough draft of the video to my roommate from the Lead America conference for her input and she gave it great reviews. Looking back, I made some really great friends at Lead America, and we all exchange ideas for stories. In fact, the idea for one of the last stories I’m helping with this year came from one of the guys in my group. It’s about the most popular Internet scams that teenagers fall for – another compelling topic that kids need to know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment